Wednesday 11 March 2015

A Weekend of Planes, Parties and Play-Dates in Joburg

This last weekend, was one of the first times that I've looked forward to going to Joburg - probably because I no longer live there and it was for a special occasion and Frosty was coming with me! But still, it was lovely to actually look forward to flying to Joburg.

My cousin, having recently celebrated a milestone birthday, managed to organise a weekend to have a family party that allowed not only most of the South African contingent to get together to celebrate, but we also had my aunt and uncle out from Australia who were also able to partake in the celebrations! 

It was such a treat to stay with a different cousin and her adorable son (who, for a two and a half year old, has a vocabulary that almost rivals mine), along with my folks, and then to spend a day catching up with all of the different family members, extended family members and family members who aren't blood-relatives, but who looked after me so well while I was in Benoni. 

Since most of my cousins are older than me, there were kids galore at the party. I was battling to remember all the names (and I'm related), but I got there in the end. At the next family gathering, Frosty (and probably my dad) are getting tested on all the cousin-kids, I think if they start swotting now they might pass! 

On Sunday we spent the day with a dear friend of both Frosty and myself. Tea at her house, lunch at a market and then, a few hours before we flew back to Cape Town, we spent some time at the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens which was absolutely stunning! There were people with a telescope pointed at the nest of a breeding pair of Verreaux's Eagles (Black Eagles) that is situated alongside the waterfall. We took a peek through the telescope before following the geological path which took us on a lovely walk.

All in all it was a great weekend away and such a treat to be able to catch up with family and friends from afar.

Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens Waterfall
Waterfall at the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens.
Who would have thought that we would find a waterfall
in the middle of Joburg? It's definitely worth a visit if you
haven't been before!


~~~~~ Follow Practical Cookie ~~~~~
~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pintrest ~ Instagram ~

No comments:

Post a Comment