Tuesday 4 February 2014

It May Feel Like Schmoozing But...

Many people scoff at the idea of team-buildings,
but they're a great platform to build your network
I've recently had occasion to reach out to the network of peers and classmates that I built up at varsity, as well as my extended family network. Now, a lot of people I know cringe when they hear the word "networking", and I'm guilty of this as well. I have always felt that networking for the sake of networking feels a little fake. It feels as though you're sucking up to the people you're talking to. Schmoozing. Yuck.

I think a lot of people really battle with the concept of networking, especially people who are fresh out of school and varsity. Making small talk and finding out about what someone does with the hope that one day, in the future, they may be able to help you out, has never really appealed to me. When I'm networking for the sake of networking I feel as though I'm not being true to myself and I'm not being true to the people that I'm meeting. I like to think that I'm a genuine person, who is interested in people for the sake of being interested in them, as opposed to being interested in them for what they can do for me. 

However, I've found recently by changing my concept of networking, I've been able to put a whole new spin on my feelings about it. I now view networking as "relationship building" and the whole concept has suddenly become a lot more palatable. It's these relationships that I've built up over the days, weeks, months and years that I view as my network. These are my friends, family members, old classmates and colleagues.

I think that part of the concept of networking is sometimes feeling a bit lame when you call up a stranger out of the blue, asking for a favour. When I know someone at some sort of personal level, I find it that much easier to call them up to ask them for some help. I also find that if I know someone personally, I'm more comfortable asking them to refer me to someone from their own network of friends, family and colleagues. If I already have a connection with someone, no matter what it is, I find it easier to strike up (or continue on with) a relationship with them. And that, at the end of the day, is what networking is all about. Building relationships with people. 


~~~~~ Follow Practical Cookie ~~~~~
~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pintrest ~ Instagram ~

No comments:

Post a Comment