Friday 4 April 2014

Blogs I Enjoy

When I was younger I often enjoyed reading the books written in a diary-style, where you would have a first person account of someone else's life. A peek into their world, their thoughts, their lives. A blog is something like that and you can find the most interesting things when browsing the net.


Blue mug MnM
How great is this MnM mug? I got it as a gift from a friend and love to use it
when I've had a bad day!


Here are some of the blogs that I've been enjoying - a few were the inspiration for my own blog. Others are ones that I found after I started blogging. And a few are blogs of people that I know personally and just love reading. So find a few minutes to put aside, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, and enjoy clicking through this list of blogs. And, for those that are proudly South African, you'll be happy to know that most of these blogs are written by people with some or other link to South Africa (usually because they're South African).

IndieBerries

This blog is one of the reasons I started blogging - IndieBerries and I hail from the same small town and went to the same junior school and high school. I was a tiny little second-former when she was in matric, but I always remember her as being one of the more approachable and friendly matrics. Her cartoons are incredible - go and read some now!

Midlands Musings

The author of Midlands Musings often write emotional, raw pieces that aren't afraid of telling it like it is and making you think. I was at first interested because the Midlands is still the place that I think of when I think of Home. But I continued following her for her honest posts and powerful words. Enjoy!

Mrs D Plus 3

I found this blog (and the one above and the one below) through IndieBerries. Pretty most of my cousins are married with kids and I think of them whenever I read this blog. She offers up great practical advice and her family adventures will keep you glued to your screen for hours.

Little Miss Medic

An account of the trials and tribulations of being a doctor. She is based in Cape Town and the stories on this blog are often hilarious - sometimes you really have to wonder how some people's minds work. Every now and then her posts are splattered with some doctor-type humour, so if you have a queasy stomach, keep an eye out for those posts! 

InsideMegsCloset

Probably the most fashionable engineer you will ever meet. I should know, since I lived with this lovely lady for two years during varsity and raided her closet on numerous occasions when preparing for a night out! You can follow her adventures in the UK and her sewing stories right here. She also has a clothing range called Jemimah - I haven't had the chance to get anything yet, but now that I'm back in Cape Town it's only a matter of time!

PickingUpStompies

Everyone loves to eavesdrop and this blog gives a great account of what you can learn when you keep your ears open. There are some absolute gems in here. And, since it could be a stompie from anywhere - the posts are always varied and interesting.

TheYesProject

The concept of The Yes Project is something that I love. "When was the last time you did something for the first time?" is the caption at the top of the page. Karaoke, blind dates, swapping blogs with PickingUpStompies and rock climbing - there's always something out there that you can do for the first time, don't be afraid and just say "yes".

Hamba Africa

If you love motorcycles and travel adventures and Africa, then I would definitely recommend this blog. I had the privilege of working with the author last year as part of a committee, and we also went to junior school together (I was a few years behind him). There are some amazing articles and accounts that really make you proud to live in such a beautiful part of the world and his descriptions of the places make you want to go there yourself! 



~~~~~ Follow Practical Cookie ~~~~~
~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pintrest ~ Instagram ~

No comments:

Post a Comment