Thursday 10 April 2014

Recipe for Pineapple Chicken

Do you ever have leftover tinned pineapple (you know, from making epic pizzas) and for the hundredth time in a row you find yourself eating the leftover pineapple straight from the tin and slurping surreptitiously from the can when no one is looking...

The other day I was searching for a recipe that I could use in conjunction with chicken pieces, and I came across this one. The only problem was that I didn't have any soy sauce and I wanted to make it a bit creamy. So I improvised and this is my take on the recipe I found.

Ingredients:
8 chicken pieces (I used thighs and drumsticks)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon butter/marge
1 x 400g tin of pineapple in juice
2 tablespoons grape vinegar (instead of the soy sauce)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Mrs Balls Chutney
Salt and pepper

Method:

  1. Put you oven on to about 160 degrees C.
  2. Cover your chicken pieces in flour (you can add some nutmeg to the flour as well).
  3. Heat up the pan to hot and brown your chicken pieces (especially if you're keeping the skin on!).
  4. If you have got pineapple rings, chop them into pieces.
  5. Mix your pineapple (and pineapple juice) with the vinegar/soy sauce, sugar, nutmeg, garlic, mayo and chutney.
  6. Put your sauce in a casserole dish, then add the browned chicken.
  7. Cover you dish (either with a lid or you can use tin foil).
  8. Leave to cook for about 1.5 hours.
  9. At the very end, take the cover off and put the grill on to brown the top of your dish a bit more.
I served this dish with rice and peas, but you can do whatever floats your boat! Enjoy!


~~~~~ Follow Practical Cookie ~~~~~
~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pintrest ~ Instagram ~

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! And it uses two of my favourite ingredients, chicken and pineapple. Going to give this a try over the weekend.

    Mel
    http://mels-corner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!
      I hope it lives up to your expectations - let me know how it turns out!
      Have a lovely weekend, Mel (especially since it's a long weekend!) :)

      Delete